Sunday, June 14, 2009

AP IMPACT: Weak security enables credit card hacks

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20090614/US.TEC.Shoppers_.Gamble/

You might want to think about using your visa check card when you pay at the register. I used my visa check card a few years ago at a "Ruby Tuesday" and the waiter stole my #'s and the verification pin on the back. There was a chain of stolen card #'s going around and I did not know it. My #'s were sold to a truck driver in Flordia and he/she went to town on my expense. Lucky for me I caught it right away and the bank cut them off. I was reimbursed for the money that stolen, however, I would not want to go through that again. Cash is the way to go!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is interesting is the (still continuting) trend that people think using a credit card at a brick and mortar is safer than online (because of "DANGEROUS HACKERS!").

    In reality, most reputable online payments systems are MUCH safer than storefronts. E transactions are guarded by protocols (SSL and newers TLS) to ecrypt transmissions from client to server. And when paying with a credit card, most merchants require the security code from the rear of the card as an extra measure.

    The drawback is, that the merchant is only responsible for the transaction protocol from their standpoint, they have no control over the status of a local machine that a user has. If the machine is compromised, then sure. . .the transaction is secure, but the data is open to the world.

    ReplyDelete